Presented here as part of a dedicated series of Jodorowsky’s ABKCO film scores (alongside the previously unreleased The Holy Mountain and The Dance Of Reality), Finders Keepers bring you the score to the ultimate midnight movie and spiritual pseudo western an album that marks the exact pinprick where Alejandro Jodorowsky’s legacy first bled into the wider public consciousness.
LAST ONE AVAILABLE
To affirm its 70’s rock credentials, El Topo was originally imported by record producer Alan Douglas (Jimi Hendrix/The Last Poets/Miles Davis) then bought by American Beatles manager Allen Klein under the recommendation of John Lennon and Yoko Ono who shared enthusiasm with late night creatives like Dennis Hopper, Samuel Fuller and Don Cherry (who would later score The Holy Mountain). The acidic folk soundtrack was originally composed by Jodorowsky himself with his long-term Mexican collaborator Nacho Méndez with whom he had previously worked on the avant theatre production and LP H30. The following year Jodorowsky and Méndez’ short cues from the film’s production tapes were given to Ravi Shankar understudy (and George Harrison’s All Things Must Pass orchestrator) John Barnham to add extra score and post-production features making the lo-fi composed-to-scene themes into a viable commercial LP which would share release schedules with The Elephant’s Memory, Badfinger and Mary Hopkins – standing out like a sore thumb in a sea of well manicured talons.
Taken from the original master tapes of engineer Brian Humphries (Black Sabbath/Pink Floyd) and presented with new artwork based on the rare European and South American poster artwork for the film’s original release with exclusive sleevenotes form Andy Votel and actress/director (and Jodorowsky friend/collaborator) Asia Argento this release is an essential companion piece to Finders Keepers exclusive Jodorowsky series and an enthralling and pop culturally significant release in its own right.
- A01Entierro Del Primer Juguete = Burial Of The First Toy2:29
- A02Bajo Tierra = Under The Earth1:40
- A03La Catedral De Los Puercos = The Pigs Monastery1:33
- A04Los Mendigos Sangrados = The Holy Beggars2:31
- A05La Muerte Es Un Nacimiento = Death Is Birth2:18
- A06Curios Mexicano = Mexican Curios2:37
- A07El Agua Viva = Living Water1:17
- A08Vals Fantasma3:17
- B01El Alma Nace En La Sangre = The Soul Born In The Blood2:44
- B02Topo Triste2:44
- B03Los Dioses De Azucar = The Sugar Gods1:39
- B04Las Flores Nacen En El Barro = Flowers Born In The Mud1:52
- B05El Infierno De Los Angeles Prostitutos = The Hell Of The Prostituted Angels1:54
- B06Marcha De Los Ojos En El Triangulos = March Of The Eyes In The Triangles1:37
- B07La Miel Del Dolor = The Pain Of The Honey1:08
- B08300 Conejos = 300 Rabbits0:56
- B09Conocimiento A Traves De La Musica = Knowledge Through Music0:35
- B10La Primera Flor Despues Del Diluvio = The First Flower After The Flood3:30