A TYMPANI SYMPHONY OF DEMONIC MAYHEM!
• Straight from the Nicholas Carras tape archive to its first true soundtrack!
• Includes a replica film poster and notes from notorious B-movie cinephile David Schecter.
• An occult cult classic on colored vinyl cut by Kevin Gray at Cohearent Audio and pressed at Third Man!
Nicholas Carras’ soundtrack for this 1958 “horror” film adds a much needed shot of drama and excitement to the wide range of bizarre charms captured on screen. Carras employs thundering tympani and a small ensemble for an enthralling score, highlighted by a drum-propelled dance and Oscar-worthy dialog. Pressed on demon green vinyl and includes a menacing movie poster!
LAST ONE AVAILABLE
This is the first true soundtrack to this 1958 sci-fi/horror “movie.” Once you’ve seen the film, you’ll never forget it, so take that as either a recommendation or a warning!
Despite the low budget Nicholas Carras had to work with that only permitted 22 players (which was small for the time), he takes full advantage of his limited musical resources to make the picture seem much bigger than it otherwise would have been. Thundering tympani provides a lot of that power, with about a dozen brass and woodwind players being used in many different combinations to keep the accompaniment from getting stale. There isn’t a lot of piano in the score because the composer needed organ in many of the cues, and couldn’t afford a second keyboardist. The most memorable piece is obviously the drum-propelled dance, which was also wisely adapted for the film’s main title, but there’s much more to the soundtrack than that.
As Carras has demonstrated with Mr. Peters’ Pets, Date Bait, and High School Caesar, even when presented with a ridiculous storyline, he treated the tale with the utmost seriousness. This way, when your disbelief can no longer be suspended, the music provides a steady mainline of entertainment on its own!
News Announcement (dialog) • Opening Credits (1:43) • Inside Of Your Hat (dialog) • Washed Up On The Beach (0:22) • Footprints In The Sand (0:19) • Blood Stains (dialog) • Snake In The Jungle (2:12) • Ambushed On The Beach (1:18) • A Dead Body (1:00) • Chances In The Jungle (dialog) • Dance (0:53) • Beautiful Again (dialog) • Guards Round Up Dancers (0:20) • She’s Dead (dialog) • Caged Women (0:33) • She Demon (0:28) • Tension (0:30) • Underground Lab (1:22) • A Tough Crust (dialog) • Subterranean Smooch (1:23) • Suspense (0:17) • Hiding (1:50) • OK Big Boy (dialog) • Fight (1:51) • Caught (0:12) • She Demons, Hah! (dialog) • Mona Enters (0:12) • Menace (0:16) • Torture (1:06) • Escape (1:38) • Experiments On My Wife (dialog) • Nazi Pursuit (1:48) • How Bad Is Your Face? (dialog) • Mona’s Face (0:13) • In The Tunnel (0:52) • Final Battle (0:36) • A Fortune Cookie (dialog) • End Title (1:09) • Trailer (1:06)
- A01News Announcement (Dialog)
- A02Opening Credits1:43
- A03Inside Of Your Hat (Dialog)
- A04Washed Up On The Beach0:22
- A05Footprints In The Sand0:19
- A06Blood Stains (Dialog)
- A07Snake In The Jungle2:12
- A08Ambushed On The Beach1:18
- A09A Dead Body1:00
- A10Chances In The Jungle (Dialog)
- A12Beautiful Again (Dialog)
- A13Guards Round Up Dancers0:20
- A14She's Dead (Dialog)
- A15Caged Woman0:33
- A16She Demon0:28
- A18Underground Lab1:22
- A19A Tough Crust (Dialog)
- A20Subterranean Smooch1:23
- B03OK Big Boy (Dialog)
- B06She Demons, Hah! (Dialog)
- B07Mona Enters0:12
- B11Experiments On My Wife (Dialog)
- B12Nazi Pursuit1:48
- B13How Bad Is Your Face? (Dialog)
- B14Mona's Face0:13
- B15In The Tunnel0:52
- B16Final Battle0:36
- B17A Fortune Cookie (Dialog)
- B18End Title1:09